K&L Gates LLP is a US-based international law firm with offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, South America, and the United States. Measured by headcount, it is the 8th largest law firm in the United States and the 11th largest among law firms worldwide. The firm delivers legal services at both an individual office level and through nine broad firmwide practice areas: Corporate and Transactional; Energy, Infrastructure and Resources; Finance; Financial Services; Intellectual Property; Labor, Employment and Workplace Safety; Litigation and Dispute Resolution; Real Estate; and Regulatory and Policy, each of which also include a number of subject matter and industry-based practice groups.
As of March 2017 They replaced longtime chairman and global managing partner Peter Kalis, who had held that position since 1997.
, the leaders of K&L Gates are James Segerdahl (global managing partner) and Michael Caccese (chairman, management committee).
- 1858: London-based Nicholson Graham & Jones is founded
- 1883: Preston Gates & Ellis is founded in Seattle, emerging out of the private law offices of Harold Preston.
- 1946: Pittsburgh-based Kirkpatrick & Lockhart is founded
- 2005: Kirkpatrick & Lockhart and Nicholson Graham & Jones merge to become Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham
- 2007: On January 1, K&L Gates is formed in a merger between Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham and Preston Gates & Ellis to form Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis. The name was later shortened to K&L Gates.
- 2008: In January, K&L Gates combined with Hughes & Luce, a Dallas-based firm of 150 attorneys with offices in Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth
- 2008: In July K&L Gates combined with Kennedy Covington Lobdell & Hickman LLP, a North Carolina-based firm of 200 attorneys with offices in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Research Triangle Park.
- March 1, 2009: K&L Gates merged with Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago-based firm with approximately 215 attorneys with offices in Chicago, San Diego and Washington, D.C.
- 2013: K&L Gates combined with Australian national firm Middletons with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, and Brisbane
In 2017 U.S. News ranked K&L as the best Law Firm in the category of Environmental Litigation. The Financial Times labeled K&L among the "Most innovative North American law firms 2015: Compliance & technology".
K&L Gates received a "100 percent" on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index compiled by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, an LGBT advocacy group. In 2016 the "Yale Law Women" included K&L gates in the top ten "family-friendly" law firms.
In September 2014, K&L Gates founded the "Cyber Civil Rights Legal Project". The project initially involves about fifty K&L lawyers working pro bono to assist about 100 victims of "revenge porn". According to the New York Times, the project is believed to be first of its kind at a major United States law firm. By 2016, the project has aided hundreds of victims and has led to a handful of arrests. In April 2017 the project secured an $8.9 million jury award for a King County couple, reportedly the largest award for non-celebrity targets of "revenge porn" to date.
In 2016, K&L awarded a $10 million grant to Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) to establish the "K&L Gates Endowment for Ethics and Computational Technologies". This new research center is to explore the ethics of artificial intelligence and establish a biennial conference. The firm has provided legal services to CMU for decades; K&L Chairman Emeritus Charles J. Queenan Jr. once chaired CMU's Board of Trustees.
In 2017, K&L announced it would create its own blockchain.
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, K&L Gates was one of the top law firms contributing to federal candidates during the 2012 election cycle, donating $1.29 million, 52% to Democrats. By comparison, during that same period Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld donated $2.56 million, 66% to Democrats, while oil conglomerate ExxonMobil donated $2.66 million, 88% to Republicans. Since 1990, K&L Gates contributed $10.26 million to federal campaigns, and spent $1.25 million on lobbying since 1999.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- Dick Thornburgh, former Attorney General of the United States and two-term Governor of Pennsylvania
- Bart Gordon, former twelve-term U.S. Congressman
- Slade Gorton, former two-term U.S. senator
- Charles J. Queenan, Jr., chairman emeritus of firm; served as firm chairman from 1975 to 1990 (2014 recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award from The American Lawyer).
- Peter J. Kalis, former chairman and global managing partner. In 2013, Kalis was named both one of the top legal innovators of the past 50 years by The American Lawyer magazine  and among the legal industry's most innovative and groundbreaking thinkers on The National Law Journal's inaugural list of "Top 50 Legal Business Trailblazers & Pioneers"
- William H. Gates, Sr, attorney and philanthropist. One of the founders of Preston Gates & Ellis (which merged to become K&L Gates). He is the father of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates
- Bill Neukom, former American Bar Association president and managing partner of the San Francisco Giants 
- Michael S. Greco, former American Bar Association president
- Michael C. Ormsby, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington
- Jack Abramoff, former lobbyist, writer
- Eric Schneiderman, the former New York Attorney General
- Rick Santorum, former two-term U.S. Representative, former two-term U.S. Senator and 2012 Republican presidential candidate
- ^ 
- ^ a b 
- ^ http://www.klgates.com/places/
- ^ "The NLJ 250:Our Annual Survey". The National Law Journal. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ "The 2011 Global 100: Most Lawyers". The American Lawyer. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ http://www.klgates.com/aboutus/xpqGC.aspx?xpST=AboutUsGeneral&key=ec9cb923-6322-4cc9-838c-bda359f6626e&activeEntry=7cc28745-1d6a-44fc-8d41-33be565591ac
- ^ "As K&L grows, it takes two to fill Kalis' shoes," Pittsburgh Business Times, Sept. 23, 2016, http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2016/09/23/as-k-l-grows-it-takes-two-to-fill-kalis-shoes.html
- ^ "Kalis elected to fifth terms as head of K&L Gates," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 25, 2012, http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/kalis-elected-to-fifth-terms-as-head-of-kl-gates-654825/
- ^ Riggio, Jim (3 November 2005). "Former Congressman, Judge James Rogan Joins Orange County Firm". Metropolitan News Enterprise. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ James, Andrea (14 December 2006). "Preston Gates & Ellis OKs merger". Seattle Pi. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ Press release from K&L Gates
- ^ "K&L Gates - Rankings". U.S. News. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Innovative Lawyers - Financial Times". Financial Times. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Local companies earn perfect score on LGBTQ index". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 9 November 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "These 10 law firms are ranked the most family-friendly". ABA Journal. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Goldstein, Matthew (29 January 2015). "Law Firm Founds Project to Fight 'Revenge Porn'". New York Times. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Miami lawyers' project helps online victims of revenge porn". Miami Herald. 28 December 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "King County couple awarded $8.9M revenge porn verdict". seattlepi.com. 9 May 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "How One Woman's Digital Life Was Weaponized Against Her". Wired. 14 November 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Markoff, John (1 November 2016). "New Research Center to Explore Ethics of Artificial Intelligence". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Aupperlee, Aaron (2 November 2016). "K&L Gates gives $10M to CMU to study ethics of AI". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "K&L Gates to implement private blockchain". ABA Journal. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ a b "Lawyers & Lobbyists: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups". OpenSecrets.org. Center for Responsive Politics.
- ^ "Energy/Natural Resources: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups". OpenSecrets.org. Center for Responsive Politics. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Organizations: K&L Gates". OpenSecrets.org. Center for Responsive Politics. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Thornburgh Shares Lessons From Three Mile Island Crisis
- ^ K&L Gates - People - Dick Thornburgh
- ^ Testimony of Dick Thornburgh, Former Attorney General of the United States, Counsel, K&L Gates LLP
- ^ Congress is on a health-reform path that will raise premiums
- ^ K&L Gates - People - K&L Gates
- ^ http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202667573523/Lifetime-Achiever-Charles-Queenan-Jr-
- ^ http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2013/07/30/peter-kalis-among-top-50-innovators.html
- ^ http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/LBTP2013Web.pdf
- ^ http://support.wilsoncenter.org/page.aspx?pid=429
- ^ ABA Journal ABA President to Replace Magowan as Managing Partner of San Francisco Giants
- ^ K&L Gates - People - Michael S. Greco
- ^ Nelson, Robert T. (January 27, 1995). "Democratic Firm Learns To Do Business With New Congress". The Seattle Times.
- ^ Postman, David; Bernton, Hal (2006-02-07). "How scheming lobbyist operated in Seattle firm". The Seattle Times. Retrieved .
- ^ Eric Schneiderman
- ^ 10 Things You Didn't Know About Rick Santorum
- ^ 9 Things You Need to Know About Rick Santorum