Redwood Shores, Redwood City, California, United States|
North America, EMEA, APAC, and Japan|
(Executive Chairman & CTO)
Infrastructure as a service,|
Platform as a service,
Software as a service,
Data as a service,
(See Oracle Cloud Products)
Oracle Cloud is a cloud computing service offered by Oracle Corporation providing servers, storage, network, applications and services through a global network of Oracle Corporation managed data centers. The company allows these services to be provisioned on demand over the Internet.
Oracle Cloud provides Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), and Data as a Service (DaaS). These services are used to build, deploy, integrate, and extend applications in the cloud. This platform supports numerous open standards (SQL, HTML5, REST, etc.), open-source solutions (Kubernetes, Hadoop, Kafka, etc.), and a variety of programming languages, databases, tools, and frameworks including Oracle-specific, Open Source, and third-party software and systems.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Oracle has branded its Infrastructure as a Service as Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). Oracle Cloud Infrastructure offerings include the following services.
- Compute: The company provides Virtual Machine Instances to provide different shapes (VM sizes) catering to different types of workloads and performance characteristics. They also provide Bare metal servers and Bare metal GPU servers, without a hypervisor with capability to scale up and down.
- Storage: The platform provides Block Volumes, Object Storage, and Archive Storage with capability to enable database, analytics, content, and other applications across common protocols and APIs.
- Networking: This cloud platform provides network with fully configurable IP addresses, subnets, routing, and firewalls to support new or existing private networks with End-to-End Security.
- Governance: For Auditing, Identity and Access Management, the platform has capabilities for Data Integrity Checks, Traceability, and access management features.
- Database: The platform allows Oracle databases to be deployed on demand in cloud environment with Real Application Clusters, data security, and granular controls.
- Load Balancing: The cloud platform offers load balancing capability to automatically route traffic across Availability Domains for high availability and fault-tolerance for hosted applications.
- Edge Services: These services are used to monitor the path between users and resources to adapt to changes and outages using secure DNS infrastructure.
- Ravello: This service allows deployment of existing VMware or KVM based data center workloads on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, AWS, or GCP as-is, without any modification to the VMs, network, or storage.
- FastConnect: The cloud platform provides private connectivity across on-premises and cloud networks.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Oracle has branded its Platform as a Service as Oracle Cloud Platform (OCP). Oracle Cloud Platform offerings include the following services.
- Data Management: This cloud platform offers a data management platform for database workloads as well as hyper-scale Big Data and Streaming workloads including OLTP, Warehousing, Machine Learning, Text Search, Image Analytics and Deep-Learning. Services include Database, Database Backup, Big Data, Big Data Cloud, Event Hub, MySQL, NoSQL Database, Data Hub, and Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud.
- Application Development: For application development, the company's cloud offers an open, standards-based application development platform to build, deploy, and manage API-first, mobile-first cloud applications. This platform supports container native, cloud native, and low code development. This platform also provides a DevOps platform for CI/CD, diagnostics for Java applications, and integration with SaaS and on-prem applications. Services include Java, Mobile, Chatbots, Messaging, Application Container Cloud, Developer Cloud, Visual Builder, API Catalog, AI Platform, and Blockchain.
- Integration: This is a platform offering with adapters to integrate on-premise and cloud applications. Capabilities include data integration and replication, API management, integration analytics, along with data migration and integration. They offer services such as Data Integration Platform Cloud, Data Integrator Cloud Service, GoldenGate Cloud Service, Integration Cloud, Process Cloud Service, API Platform Cloud Service, Apiary Cloud Service, and SOA Cloud Service.
- Business Analytics: The Company provides this Business Analytics Platform which can analyze and generate insights from data across various applications, data warehouses, and data lakes. The services offered include Analytics Cloud, Business Intelligence, Big Data Discovery, Big Data Preparation, Data Visualization, and Essbase.
- Security: The Oracle Cloud Platform provides identity and security solution for providing secure access and monitoring of hybrid cloud environment and addressing IT governance and compliance requirements. This platform delivers an identity SOC (Security Operations Center) through a combined offering of SIEM, UEBA, CASB,l and IDaaS. The services offered include Identity Cloud Service and CASB Cloud Service.
- Management: The platform provides an integrated monitoring, management, and analytics platform. This platform also uses machine learning and big data on the operational data set. The platform is used to improve IT stability, prevent application outages, improve DevOps, and harden security. Services offered include Application Performance Monitoring, Infrastructure Monitoring, Log Analytics, Orchestration, IT Analytics, Configuration and Compliance, Security Monitoring, and Analytics.
- Content and Experience: This is a platform for content, website, and workflow management. This solution is used to provide content collaboration and web presence. This solution comes integrated with Oracle on-premise and SaaS solutions. The services offered are Content and Experience Cloud, WebCenter Portal Cloud, and DIVA Cloud.
On July 28, 2016 Oracle bought NetSuite, the very first cloud company, for $9.3 billion. On May 16, 2018 Oracle announced that it had acquired DataScience.com, a privately held cloud workspace platform for data science projects and workloads.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Oracle provides SaaS applications also known as Oracle Cloud Applications. These applications are offered across a variety of products, industrial sectors with various deployment options to adhere to compliance standards. The below list mentions Oracle Cloud Applications provided by Oracle Corporation.
- Customer Experience (CX)
- Human Capital Management (HCM)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Enterprise Performance Management (EPM)
- Internet of Things Applications (IoT)
- SaaS Analytics
- Industry Solutions (Communications, Financial Services, Consumer Goods, High Tech and Manufacturing, Higher Education, Hospitality, Utilities)
- Deployment (adhering to standards for sectors such as Financial Services, Retail Services, Public Sector, U.S. Department of Defense Community)
- Block-Chain Cloud Service (in partnership with SAP, IBM and Microsoft)
Data as a Service (DaaS)
This platform is known as the Oracle Data Cloud. This platform aggregates and analyzes consumer data powered by Oracle ID Graph across channels and devices to create cross-channel consumer understanding.
Oracle Cloud is generally available in North America, EMEA, APAC, and Japan with announced South America and US Gov regions coming soon. The services region availability for each of their cloud services offered can be checked here.
Oracle Cloud can be deployed over Public Cloud, Private cloud, and Hybrid Cloud deployment models. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure maintains a status dashboard which provides service health specifically for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure services.
The Oracle Cloud is offered through a global network of Oracle Corporation managed data centers. Oracle Corporation deploys their cloud in Regions. Inside each Region are at least three fault-independent Availability Domains. Each of these Availability Domains contains an independent data center with power, thermal, and network isolation. Oracle Cloud is generally available in North America, EMEA, APAC, and Japan with announced South America and US Gov regions coming soon. Oracle Cloud IaaS and PaaS Security and Compliance details are published by Oracle on their public website.
Oracle Developers is a forum responsible for engaging with the developer community that provides information, documentation, and discussion that is authored both by Oracle and by the community members at large.
Oracle provides cost estimation for its cloud services through a Cost Estimator Tool on their public website to calculate, download and share cost estimation details and infrastructure configurations.
Oracle offers certifications in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and several specializations in Software as a Service.
- Mark Hurd: (CEO since September 2014), previously co-President (since 2010). In 2007, Mark Hurd was ranked No. 16 on Fortunes list of the 25 Most Powerful People in Business.
- Safra Catz: (CEO since September 2014), previously co-President (since 2004) and CFO. In 2016, she was ranked 10th on Fortune's Most Powerful Women list.
- Larry Ellison: Executive Chairman and CTO (since September 2014), co-founder of the company, previously CEO (1977-2014), previously Chairman (1990-2004).
- ^ "Oracle Board of Directors". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ a b Safonov, Vladimir O. (2016-01-29). Trustworthy Cloud Computing. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781119113515.
- ^ a b Saygili, Okcan Yasin (2017-06-23). Oracle IaaS: Quick Reference Guide to Cloud Solutions. Apress. ISBN 9781484228326.
- ^ "Infrastructure as a Service | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Platform as a Service | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Oracle Purchase of NetSuite Will Help It Vie With Cloud Rivals". Bloomberg.com. 2016-07-28. Retrieved .
- ^ "Oracle acquires machine learning platform Datascience.com". VentureBeat. 2018-05-16. Retrieved .
- ^ "Cloud Applications ( SaaS / DaaS ) | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Mearian, Lucas. "Oracle rolls out its own blockchain service". Computerworld. Retrieved .
- ^ "Data as a Service | Data Cloud | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Enterprise Cloud Computing SaaS, PaaS, IaaS | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Saygili, Okcan Yasin (2017-06-23). Oracle IaaS: Quick Reference Guide to Cloud Solutions. Apress. ISBN 9781484228326.
- ^ "Enterprise Cloud Computing SaaS, PaaS, IaaS | Oracle Cloud". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Architecture | Oracle Cloud Infrastructure". cloud.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Oracle Corporation. "Oracle Cloud Career Choices". education.oracle.com. Retrieved .
- ^ a b c Hardy, Quentin (September 18, 2014). "Larry Ellison Says He Is Done as Chief at Oracle". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "25 most powerful people in business". Fortune. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Hickens, Michael (March 21, 2013). "New Rivals Clip Oracle's Wings". The Wall Street Journal (paper). pp. B1–2. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ "Safra Catz". Fortune. 2016-09-08. Retrieved .