Quora is a question-and-answer site where questions are asked, answered, edited, and organized by its community of users. Its publisher, Quora Inc., is based in Mountain View, California. The company was founded in June 2009, and the website was made available to the public on June 21, 2010. Users can collaborate by editing questions and suggesting edits to answers that have been submitted by other users.
Quora was co-founded by former Facebook employees Adam D'Angelo and Charlie Cheever in June 2009. When asked why they chose the name, Cheever stated, "I associate it with 'quorum' or public congregation. We spent a few hours brainstorming and writing down all the ideas that we could think of. The closest competition that Quora had was 'Quiver' but we eventually settled on Quora".
Quora's user base grew quickly since 2010. As of April 2017, Quora has claimed to have 190 million monthly unique visitors, up from 100 million a year earlier.
In June 2011, Quora redesigned the navigation and usability of its website. Quora made an official iPhone app on September 29, 2011, followed by an Android app on September 5, 2012.
Google Search popularity of Quora over 5 years
In September 2012, co-founder Charlie Cheever stepped down as co-operator of the company, taking an advisory role.
In January 2013, Quora launched a blogging platform allowing users to post non-answer content on their profiles.
Quora launched a full-text search of questions and answers on its website on March 20, 2013 and extended the feature to mobile devices in late May 2013. It also announced in May 2013 that all its usage metrics had tripled relative to the same time in the prior year. In November 2013 Quora introduced a feature called Stats to allow all Quora users to see summary and detailed statistics regarding how many people had viewed, upvoted, and shared their questions and answers.TechCrunch reported that, although Quora had no immediate plans for monetization, they believed that search ads would likely be their eventual source of revenue.
In April 2014, Quora raised $80 million from Tiger Global at a reported $900 million valuation. Quora was also one of the members of the Summer 2014 Y Combinator batch.
Quora acquired the online community website Parlio in March 2016. In April of that year, the company also began a limited rollout of advertising on the site.
In October 2016, Quora launched a Spanish version of its website to the public. Following this announcement, in early 2017, a beta version of Quora in French was announced. In May 2017, beta versions in German and Italian were introduced. In September 2017 a beta version in Japanese was launched. In April 2018, Beta versions in Hindi, Portuguese, and Indonesian were launched.
In April 2017, Quora was reported to have received Series D funding with a valuation of $1.8 billion.
Real name policy
Quora allows users to create user profiles with visible real names, photos, site use statistics, etc., which users can set to private. In August 2012 blogger Ivan Kirigin pointed out that acquaintances and followers could see his activity, including which questions he had looked at. In response, Quora stopped showing question views in feeds later that month. By default, Quora exposes its users' profiles, including their real names, to search engines. Users can disable this feature.
Quora has developed its own proprietary algorithm to rank answers, which works similarly to Google PageRank. Quora uses Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud technology to host the servers that run its website.
Currently, Quora has different ways to recommend questions to users:
- Home feed questions recommendations: In this method, each user will have a timeline that is personalized to their preferences. Quora also provides "interesting" questions that are relevant to the user's preferences. This will lead to the user either answering that question or refers another user to better answer it.
- Daily Digest: In this method, Quora sends a daily email containing a set of questions with one answer that is deemed the best answer given certain ranking requirements.
- Related Questions: In this method, whether the user is logged in or not, a set of questions that relates to the current questions will be recommended and displayed on the side. This will help the user navigate through the questions and find what is more relevant to their preference.
- Ask to Answer: This feature enables the user to request another user's answer to a question that they feel is fit or better suited to answer that question.
Quora supports various features to moderate content posted by users. The majority of content moderation is done by the users, though staff can also intervene.
- Upvote/Downvote - Users can rank answers based on how relevant or helpful they found the answers to be. This feature helps maintain the quality of content posted online. The more upvotes an answer receives, the higher it is ranked, and it shows up on top of the searches related to the question. If an answer is ranked poorly, it is "collapsed" and will not show up in people's feeds.
- Report Answer - Users can report plagiarism, harassment, spam, factually incorrect articles, etc. This keeps sub-standard content under check.
- Suggest Edits - Users make suggestions to improve an article by proposing changes to it. The proposed changes are also made visible to the original author of the question or answer and can be either approved and published or rejected.
Top Writers Program
In November 2012, Quora introduced the Top Writers Program as a way to recognize individuals who had made especially valuable content contributions to the site and encourage them to continue. About 150 writers each year are chosen out of 200 million monthly unique visitors. This has inspired both young and experienced writers. Top writers are invited to occasional events and receive gifts such as branded clothing items and books. The company believes that by cultivating a group of core users who are particularly invested in the site, the program creates a feedback loop of user engagement.
Quora World Meetup
Quora World Meetup started in 2017 as a tradition to Quora readers and writers to come know themselves, network and have fun. Quora World Meetups are organised by group of Quora contributors with a designated lead and as a contribution from Quora they usually send branded swags, stickers to the attendees.
According to Quora, they defined the World Meetups as "This is our way of celebrating the global growth of Quora, and all of the readers and writers who have made it possible."
The last meetup had nearly 3,000 writers from over cities and the 2018 World Meetups will come up from June 20-25. All other informations about the Meetups can be found on The Quora Blog.
Quora was reviewed extensively by the media in 2010. According to Robert Scoble, Quora succeeded in combining attributes of Twitter and Facebook. Later, in 2011, Scoble criticized Quora for being a "horrid service for blogging" and, although a decent question and answer website, not substantially better than competitors.
In 2014 Quora attracted controversy for using robots.txt to ask crawlers such as the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to not index or archive the site. Their stated reason is that the Wayback APIs as of 2016 does not give users a way to censor answers that they may regret previously posting. Critics have raised concerns about the fate of Quora's data if the site ever goes offline and recommended Stack Overflow as an easily archived alternative.
As of February 28, 2018, according to Alexa Internet, the United States makes up the largest user base at 37.1%, followed by India at 19.2%, with an overall global site ranking of 136.
||Quora raises $11 million in a series A, with Benchmark Capital as an investor|
||Quora announces that it will open up to the public|
||Marc Bodnick leaves Elevation Partners to join Quora|
||Quora chooses C++ over C for its high-performance services|
||Quora introduces video to its Q&A pages|
||Quora introduces Credits for asking-to-answer questions|
||Quora introduces threaded comments and comment voting|
||Quora raises $50 million in a series B, with Peter Thiel and Adam D'Angelo as investors|
||Co-founder Charlie Cheever leaves|
||Quora introduces Top Writers program|
||Quora introduces blogs|
||Quora introduces a policy eliminating image-only answers.|
||Quora raises $80 million in a series C at a $900 million valuation, with Tiger Global Management and Y Combinator as investors|
||Quora announces bounty system, offering financial bounties for the best answer (selected by the question asker) on select questions.|
||Quora acquires Parlio, an online Q&A site started by Wael Ghonim.|
||Quora announces that it will start out testing advertisements, on a small number of question pages.|
||Marc Bodnick, Quora's public face and leader of its business and moderation team, announces that he is leaving the company.
||Quora announces support for the Spanish language.|
||Kelly Battles announced as new chief financial officer (CFO).|
||Quora raises $85 million in a series D at $1.8 billion valuation, with Collaborative Fund and Y Combinator as investors|
- ^ a b "Joining Quora as CFO - Kelly Battles' Posts - Quora". kellybattles.quora.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Quora.com Site Info". Alexa Internet.
- ^ "Why did Quora choose C++ over C for its high performance services? - Quora". Quora. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ "Quora's Highly Praised Q&A Service Launches To The Public (And The Real Test Begins)". Techcrunch.com. June 21, 2010. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Wortham, Jenna (March 12, 2010). "Facebook Helps Social Start-Ups Gain Users". New York Times. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ "How did DAngelo and Cheever come up with the name Quora?". Definition.net. March 12, 2018. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Lewenstein, ed. (November 28, 2010). "Quora Signups Explode". Retrieved 2011.
- ^ "How many people use Quora?"."Q&A app Quora valued around $1.8 billion in $85 million fundraise".
- ^ Tsotsis, Alexia (June 24, 2011). "Inspired by Wikipedia, Quora aims for relevancy with topic groups and reorganized topic pages". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Cutler, Kim-Mai (September 11, 2012). "Quora Co-Founder Charlie Cheever Steps Back From Day-To-Day Role At The Company". TechCrunch.
- ^ a b Constine, Josh (January 23, 2013). "Quora Launches Blogging Platform With Mobile Text Editor To Give Every Author A Built-In Audience". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Russell, Jon (March 21, 2013). "Quora finally introduces full-text search to boost content discovery". The Next Web. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Constine, Josh (May 29, 2013). "Quora Brings Full-Text Search to Mobile to Unlock FAQ&As for Any Keyword". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Tsotsis, Alexia (May 28, 2013). "Quora Grew More than 3X across All Metrics in the Past Year". Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Gannes, Liz (November 12, 2013). "Quora Gives Its Writers a Stats Dashboard". AllThingsD. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Truong, Alice (November 12, 2013). "'Quora Stats' Tells You If People Find Your Posts Useful". Fast Company. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Constine, Josh (November 13, 2013). "Quora Signals It's Favoring Search Ads For Eventual Monetization, Launches Author Stats Tool". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Constine, Josh (April 9, 2014). "Quora Wants To Stay Independent, Raises $80M Series C From Tiger Global At ~$900M Valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ Konrad, Alex (May 9, 2014). "Quora Raises $80 Million From Tiger Global To 'Stay Independent Forever'". Forbes. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ McBride, Sarah (April 9, 2014). "Tiger Global helps Q&A site Quora raise $80 million". Reuters. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Quora Raises $80M Led by Tiger Global, Now Valued at $900Ml". Re/code. April 9, 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ Constine, Josh (May 11, 2014). "Q: Why Did Quora Join Y Combinator? A: It Was Almost Free". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ Altman, Sam (May 9, 2014). "Quora in the next YC batch". Y Combinator. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ Kokalitcheva, Kia (May 9, 2014). "Meet the oldest Y Combinator startup ever: Quora". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Quora's first acquisition is Arab Spring instigator's Q&A site Parlio". TechCrunch. March 30, 2016. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora begins testing ads on 'small number' of question pages". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora en español launches out of beta". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Launching a beta for Quora en français". blog.quora.com. February 27, 2017.
- ^ "Launching betas for Quora in Italiano & Quora a... - The Quora Blog - Quora". blog.quora.com.
- ^ "Launching a beta for Japanese - The Quora Blog - Quora". blog.quora.com.
- ^ https://blog.quora.com/Announcing-Betas-for-Quora-in-Hindi-Indonesian-and-Portuguese
- ^ "Q&A app Quora valued around $1.8 billion in $85 million fundraise".
- ^ "Quora Terms of Service". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Mlot, Stephanie (February 15, 2013). "Quora adds options for sharing with unregistered users". PC Mag. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Arthur, Charles; Kiss, Jemima (January 5, 2011). "Quora: the hottest question-and-answer website you've probably never heard of". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ "Quora morphs from adolescence to hot property". linkedmediagroup.com. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Dishman, Lydia (January 4, 2011). "fastcompany.com". fastcompany.com. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ Taber, Jane (October 19, 2011). "Quora offers clues as to why Justin Trudeau won't yet seek Liberal helm -- The Globe and Mail". The Globe and Mail. Toronto.
- ^ "This is a bit fucked, Quora". Giantrobotlasers.com. August 13, 2012. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ "Quora's New Algorithm for Ranking Answers". ReadWriteWeb. Archived from the original on February 7, 2011. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ "Quora Signups". ReadWriteWeb. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ Lohr, Steve (April 22, 2011). "Amazon Malfunction Raises Doubts About Cloud Computing". The New York Times.
- ^ Yang, Lei; Amatriain, Xavier (2016-01-01). "Recommending the World's Knowledge: Application of Recommender Systems at Quora". Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems. RecSys '16. New York, NY, USA: ACM: 389-389. doi:10.1145/2959100.2959128. ISBN 9781450340359.
- ^ "The How-To Guide to Quora | Quora Features | Que". www.quepublishing.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Bea, Francis (October 30, 2012). "Quora Introduces Top Writers, Drives Attention - and rewards - to its Most Influential Users". Digital Trends.
- ^ Bea, Hannah Long (September 18, 2017). "Announcing the first Quora World Meetup". THE QUORA BLOG.
- ^ "V.C.'s Answer Yes to Quora". Nytimes.com. March 30, 2010. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ Baig, Edward C. "Social-networking site Quora has answers to your questions". USA Today. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ Yiannopoulos, Milo. "Quora will be bigger than Twitter". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ "Is Quora the biggest blogging innovation in 10 years". Scobleizer. Archived from the original on December 27, 2010. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ "Why I was wrong about Quora as a blogging service..." Scobleizer. January 30, 2011. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ Mill, Eric. "Quora Keeps the World's Knowledge For Itself". konklone.com. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ McCarthy, Andrew (June 1, 2016). "How should I retrieve a deleted answer from a Quora user?". Quora. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Mill, Eric (October 15, 2014). "Quora keeps the world's knowledge for itself". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ a b c "Quora". Https:. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Q&A search site Quora opens to the public". CNET. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Meet Quora's New Grown-Up: Elevation Partners' Marc Bodnick". Business Insider. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Why did Quora choose C++ over C for its high performance services? - Quora". Quora.com. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ "Quora Adds Video To Its Q&A Pages". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Quora Testing User Credits For "Ask To Answer" Questions". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Quora Gets Threaded Comments, Comment Voting, Editing And Images". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Yung-Hui, Lim (September 12, 2012). "Co-Founder Charlie Cheever Leaves And Quora Is Curve Jumping". Forbes. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Quora Introduces A New Top Writers Program As A Hat Tip To Its Most Valuable Contributors". Fastcompany.com. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "What is your favorite Quora policy or new feature? What Quora feature(s) should be improved or eliminated? - Quora". Https:. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora Wants To Stay Independent, Raises $80M Series C From Tiger Global At ~$900M Valuation". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Quora Turns 80M Visitors Into Q&A Bounty Hunters With Knowledge Prizes". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora's first acquisition is Arab Spring instigator's Q&A site Parlio". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Quora begins testing ads on 'small number' of question pages". Venturebeat.com. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Expanding Quora Beyond English Into Spanish". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Foundation trustee to join Quora as finance officer". The Signpost. 2016-11-26.
- ^ "Quora scores $85M funding as valuation doubles to $1.8B". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017.