A complete, start-to-finish guide to Google Analytics instrumentation and reporting
Google Analytics Breakthrough is a much-needed comprehensive resource for the world's most widely adopted analytics tool. Designed to provide a complete, best-practices foundation in measurement strategy, implementation, reporting, and optimization, this book systematically demystifies the broad range of Google Analytics features and configurations. Throughout the end-to-end learning experience, you'll sharpen your core competencies, discover hidden functionality, learn to avoid common pitfalls, and develop next-generation tracking and analysis strategies so you can understand what is helping or hindering your digital performance and begin driving more success.
Google Analytics Breakthrough offers practical instruction and expert perspectives on the full range of implementation and reporting skills:
- Learn how to campaign-tag inbound links to uncover the email, social, PPC, and banner/remarketing traffic hiding as other traffic sources and to confidently measure the ROI of each marketing channel
- Add event tracking to capture the many important user interactions that Google Analytics does not record by default, such as video plays, PDF downloads, scrolling, and AJAX updates
- Master Google Tag Manager for greater flexibility and process control in implementation
- Set up goals and Enhanced Ecommerce tracking to measure performance against organizational KPIs and configure conversion funnels to isolate drop-off
- Create audience segments that map to your audience constituencies, amplify trends, and help identify optimization opportunities
- Populate custom dimensions that reflect your organization, your content, and your visitors so Google Analytics can speak your language
- Gain a more complete view of customer behavior with mobile app and cross-device tracking
- Incorporate related tools and techniques: third-party data visualization, CRM integration for long-term value and lead qualification, marketing automation, phone conversion tracking, usability, and A/B testing
- Improve data storytelling and foster analytics adoption in the enterprise
Millions of organizations have installed Google Analytics, including an estimated 67 percent of Fortune 500 companies, but deficiencies plague most implementations, and inadequate reporting practices continue to hinder meaningful analysis. By following the strategies and techniques in Google Analytics Breakthrough, you can address the gaps in your own still set, transcend the common limitations, and begin using Google Analytics for real competitive advantage.
Critical contributions from industry luminaries such as Brian Clifton, Tim Ash, Bryan and Jeffrey Eisenberg, and Jim Sterne – and a foreword by Avinash Kaushik – enhance the learning experience and empower you to drive consistent, real-world improvement through analytics.
From the Inside Flap
Millions of organizations have installed Google Analytics (GA), but a disappointingly small percentage are using GA to gain real understanding, improve user experience, and drive digital ROI. Google Analytics Breakthrough is a single-source, step-by-step guide for building confidence in the fundamentals and the advanced techniques that you need to derive the greatest insight and actionability from this powerful platform.
With critical contributions from leading analytics experts—including Brian Clifton, Tim Ash, Bryan and Jeffrey Eisenberg, and Jim Sterne—this unique resource distills everything you need to understand your traffic sources, comprehensively measure user behavior, and begin driving long-term digital marketing ROI. As you gain a complete, best-practices foundation in measurement strategy, implementation, reporting, and optimization, Google Analytics Breakthrough will enable you to understand your successes and identify improvement opportunities.
- Initiate and successfully drive analytics adoption throughout your enterprise
- Assess the long-term value of your traffic channels
- Determine which content is generating your best customer engagements
- Learn about BigQuery and Tableau for data integration and visualization
- Incorporate A/B and usability testing into your optimization program
During the course of this in-depth, end-to-end learning experience, you'll sharpen your core competencies, discover hidden functionality, learn to avoid common pitfalls, and develop next-generation implementation and analysis strategies. This highly engaging skill development resource is packed with annotated screen shots, color diagrams, and special callouts to provide clear, informative, and memorable lessons. Each chapter includes key takeaways and practical action steps and exercises for real-world data capture, reporting, and performance improvement.
Whether you're seeking a comprehensive primer or an advanced skill booster, Google Analytics Breakthrough delivers the reliable expertise you need.
From the Back Cover
Gain real proficiency in Google Analytics instrumentation and reporting to drive measurable improvement
"Throughout the decade-plus history of Google Analytics, how people access online information has constantly evolved. We've seen an explosion of new devices, channels, and formats that each introduce new challenges for measuring online behavior. Today, the user journey is increasingly fragmented as people engage with websites and apps on the go and in shorter slices of time. As Google Analytics has grown over the years, we've kept this same focus on understanding and serving customers.
Google Analytics Breakthrough is a comprehensive resource that will help you become a more user-centric marketer, developer, or analyst. You'll develop a framework for how to think strategically about digital analytics and get a nuts-and-bolts understanding of how Google Analytics works. Know which questions to ask and learn how to answer them with deep dives into topics like attribution and goal tracking.
This book is written with its user, you the reader, in mind. Each chapter features insightful illustrations that explain key concepts and recommended next steps that help you get started. You'll also learn from industry experts and leading practitioners as they share their tips and insights. I hope that Google Analytics Breakthrough serves as a useful guide on your journey to better understanding and delighting your customers."
—Paul Muret, VP, Display, Video Ads, Analytics, Google
"As one of the founders of Urchin, I have watched the evolution, expansion, and nearly universal adoption of our tool—known since 2005 as Google Analytics—with some amazement and a great deal of pride. Now more than ever, the capabilities of Google Analytics allow you to gain real insights and simply make better, data-driven decisions about your digital properties. Google Analytics Breakthrough provides the core concepts as well as the specific techniques that you'll need to take confident action and drive real performance improvement with Google Analytics."
—Brett Crosby, Co-Founder of Urchin/Google Analytics
- Campaign-tag inbound PPC, email, social, banner, and remarketing links to really understand which channels are sending traffic and driving ROI.
- Capture the wide range of important user interactions such as video plays, file downloads, and scrolling that Google Analytics does not measure by default.
- Implement custom dimensions and content groups to make Google Analytics "speak your language" for yourself and stakeholders.
- Configure goals, funnels, and Enhanced E-commerce measurement that map to your KPIs for retail, lead generation, and informational websites and mobile apps.
- Create segments for your audience constituencies to isolate critical performance metrics and amplify trends.
- Measure across multiple domains and subdomains and understand the journeys of logged-in users across devices.
- Integrate with advertising networks and CRM to understand long-term customer value.
- Master Google Tag Manager for basic-to-advanced Google Analytics implementation and deployment workflows.
- Learn a multitude of insider tips, tricks, and key perspectives from the authors and expert contributors in the analytics and optimization industry.
About the Author
FERAS ALHLOU is co-founder and Principal Consultant at E-Nor (founded in 2003). He's built an industry-thought-leader organization providing marketing intelligence solutions to some of the world's most recognized brands.
SHIRAZ ASIF is co-founder and Vice President of Analytics at E-Nor. He has extensive background in solutions architecture for Web and mobile analytics, report automation, and data analysis.
ERIC FETTMAN is a founder of E-Nor Analytics University and an analytics trainer at E-Nor. He seeks to empower his students in digital analytics and optimization as well as all professional endeavors.
Most helpful customer reviews
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
Great Guide - Perfect for Agency Bookshelf
By Craig Johnson
Enjoying the book. Can be read as a manual to learn some advanced techniques. Can also be used as a department reference guide. The graphics and use of color is very dynamic and paper quality is excellent. Great binding. I have several years of Google Analytics experience and so a quick resource for tools that I don't use all the time is very handy.
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful.
A masterwork loaded with actionable techniques and know-how.
By Steve Bell
This new book on Google Analytics is a masterwork, loaded with practical insights I'm using in my AdWords and Analytics work daily.
Blastoff Labs Search Marketing
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
See all 17 customer reviews...
I like the factura that the book tells you who is ...
By Jose Antonio
I like the fact that the book tells you who the recommended audience to read it is.
It also points out which section to go for the specifics (but on a more explained way of an Index)