Learn how to convert website visitors into customers
Part science and part art, conversion optimization is designed to turn visitors into customers. Carefully developed testing procedures are necessary to help you fine-tune images, headlines, navigation, colors, buttons, and every other element, creating a website that encourages visitors to take the action you seek. This book guides you through creating an optimization strategy that supports your business goals, using appropriate analytics tools, generating quality testing ideas, running online experiments, and making the adjustments that work.
- Conversion optimization is part science and part art; this guide provides step-by-step guidance to help you optimize your website for maximum conversion rates
- Explains how to analyze data, prioritize experiment opportunities, and choose the right testing methods
- Helps you learn what to adjust, how to do it, and how to analyze the results
- Features hands-on exercises, case studies, and a full-color insert reinforcing key tactics
- Author has used these techniques to assist Fortune 500 clients
You Should Test That explains both the "why" and the "how" of conversion optimization, helping you maximize the value of your website.
From the Author
This is an important book that all Marketers, Founders and business Decision-Makers should read.
The message is how you will get better results by championing scientific testing and continuous improvement in your organization.
In the book, you'll learn:
- How to find the triggers that move customers and prospects to act
- How to find your ideal value proposition that maximizes sales and profits
- How to dramatically lift your conversion rates by using a proven testing system and frameworks
- How companies like Shutterfly, Google, Salesforce, Electronic Arts, Iron Mountain, SAP (and many other fast-growth companies and startups) have used these techniques to get up to 400% conversion rate lift
- How to prioritize where to test and what to test to maximize profit lift and marketing insights
- How to move beyond just conversion rate lift to make business decisions through tested insights.
The book includes 15 full case studies of real tests plus many more examples of how companies are succeeding and failing in their websites and marketing.
You Should Read This!
From the Back Cover
Join the Scientific Marketing Revolution
Conversion optimization has become the go-to strategy for marketers to increase demand and profit from their websites. You Should Test That! provides the strategy, methods, and frameworks that have lifted conversion rates by up to 400% for organizations such as Shutterfly, Google, Salesforce, Electronic Arts, Iron Mountain, SAP, and many other fast-growth companies and startups.
You'll learn fresh tactics, previously hidden marketing insights, and proven processes that deliver unbeatable competitive advantage. Use what you learn in this book to turn your online marketing channels into high-performance conversion funnels.
- Prioritize where and what to test on your websites and landing pages for maximum revenue lift
- Master all testing types, including multivariate, A/B/n, and split path
- Evaluate the key analytics reports—essential to understanding where you are now
- Create a conversion optimization strategy aligned with your business and marketing goals, and get your team on board
- Test for relevance, clarity, urgency, and other key factors in the Landing Page Influence Function for Tests (LIFT) model
- Follow compelling case studies and learn how to emulate their success
"You Should Test That! provides an easy to understand framework for testing, and lots of excellent ideas for how to optimize toward specific goals. It's a much needed, comprehensive approach to testing."
—Jesse Nichols, Agency Partnerships, Google Analytics
"When you've finished You Should Test That!, you'll be armed not just with the belief in the importance of testing and optimization, but with the mental tools to accomplish them."
—Stefan Tornquist, VP Research, Econsultancy US
"In You Should Test That!, Chris doesn't just talk about what you should test, but how to think about your marketing in a very smart and strategic way."
—Mitch Joel, President of Twist Image and Author, Blogger, Podcaster of Six Pixels of Separation
About the Author
Chris Goward is founder and CEO of WiderFunnel, the conversion optimization agency that has improved marketing results by up to 400% for such firms as eBay, Google, BabyAge.com, SAP, Electronic Arts, Iron Mountain, Expensify, Hair Club, and many more. Chris is recognized as a conversion optimization thought leader, has an influential blog (WiderFunnel.com/blog), and speaks internationally at such conferences as Search Engine Strategies, Pubcon, eMetrics, Search Marketing Expo, European Conversion Summit, IIMA, Conversion Conference, and Internet Marketing Conference.
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
So glad I read this before testing
By Amazon Customer
I had no idea testing isn't about carrying out technical details, but testing with directions, purpose.
This is the first book I've read on cro and I'm glad it is. I feel much more confident about doing cro work now after understanding concepts from this book.
Thanks wider funnel for such a great book
4 of 5 people found the following review helpful.
No supplemental/additional resources - No concern from author/company
By Spencer Wool
The referenced supplemental materials that the book often mentions, are not available, which creates a frustrating experience as you try to learn the material. The author refers to material you don't and cannot get access to. Every link so far that supposedly provides additional resources has led me to their sales page---without providing the additional resources. They have given little thought to the post purchase experience as it's been pretty miserable. Touting additional resources and not providing them is not acceptable.
I've tried contacting through the methods detailed in the book (email & twitter) to avoid a bad review, with no response (weeks+). I then contacted the author's company, which after much stalling, has said the referenced materials are not available and that they would address my issue when they could get around to it. It's been around two months of waiting for the material, and the company has essentially begun ignoring me. The author, Chris Goward, does not deliver on his commitments and marginalizes you during your "conversations".
I would easily recommend another conversion rate book, as there are many great books on the market. So while the content in this book is decent, the experience has been extremely poor.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
See all 56 customer reviews...
By Ilya B.
Good book on conversion optimization though it does not cover statistics involved in A/B/n testing at all and sells WiderFunnel's services a little bit too much, hence 4 stars.