The complete guide to a winning pay-per-click marketing campaign
Pay-per-click advertising-the "sponsored results" on search engine results pages-is increasingly being used to drive traffic to websites. Marketing and advertising professionals looking for a hands-on, task-based guide to every stage of creating and managing a winning PPC campaign will get the step-by-step instruction they need in this detailed guide.
Using the popular An Hour A Day format, this book helps you avoid the pitfalls and plan, develop, implement, manage, and monitor a PPC campaign that gets results.
- Successful pay-per-click campaigns are a key component of online marketing
- This guide breaks the project down into manageable tasks, valuable for the small-business owner as well as for marketing officers and consultants
- Explains core PPC concepts, industry trends, and the mechanics that make a campaign work
- Shows how to perform keyword research, structure campaigns, and understand campaign settings and various pricing models
- Discusses how to write ads, develop and test landing pages, use ad groups, and leverage Google's content network
- Covers launching a campaign, bidding for position, monitoring, gathering results, and interpreting and acting on the data collected
Pay-Per-Click Search Engine Marketing: An Hour a Day provides the tools to make the most of this important marketing method.
From the Back Cover
Craft, Implement, and Measure Winning PPC Campaigns
Praise for Pay-Per-Click Search Engine Marketing:An Hour a Day
"Szetela and Kerschbaum have crafted a comprehensive how-to manual that should be on every marketer's bookshelf. Read it to understand the phenomenon that's moving from the search results pages to hot social media properties like Facebook and LinkedIn."
—John Sculley, Venture Partner, Rho Ventures; former CEO, Apple Computer and Pepsi; and author of??Odyssey
"David Szetela has earned an enviable reputation as a no-nonsense teacher and practitioner of pay-per-click advertising. This book reduces this complex topic into simple, daily practices that bring more customers with superior return on your investment. This book includes advanced techniques and concepts that 90% of your competition has never seen."
—Perry Marshall, author of??The Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords
"David Szetela is like a mad genius of paid search, uncovering an enormous breadth of specific techniques you should be applying to your direct response marketing efforts. Unlike most mad geniuses, there is a remarkable clarity to David's writing."
—Andrew Goodman, President of Page Zero Media and author of Winning Results with Google AdWords, 2nd Edition
"David Szetela does a wonderful job in covering all aspects of creating an effective and efficient pay-per-click program. His book is likely to become a classic in the field."
—Al Ries, coauthor of War in the Boardroom??and??Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
A Step-by-Step Guide
This detailed resource helps you develop, implement, measure, and manage successful pay-per-click ad campaigns by following a smart, proven, hour-a-day plan for success. The expert authors help you learn PPC basics and employ savvy strategies for everything from positive and negative keywords to click pricing, ad testing, conversion tracking, and more.
- Understand the basics of the PPC machine—the auction model, ranking algorithms, and what happens after viewers click
- Make sure you're competition-ready with great ad copy and optimized landing pages
- Master the tactics of bidding for position and for keywords, then launch your campaign and monitor results
- Explore the art and science of pay-per-click advertising and see why content and search advertising complement each other
- Set dates and budgets, research your competitors' keywords, define your own, and set up Google Analytics
- See how to leverage Google's content network to make your strategy a success
- Go mobile with targeted search and content for mobile devices
- Understand the differences in the Big Three search engines—Google, Yahoo!®, and Microsoft Bing—and how they affect your campaign
- Gather, interpret, report, and act upon the data you collect from your campaign
- Download useful templates and tools from the book's official site
You'll also find:
- Advanced tips and techniques for the AdWords Editor
- Real-world "From the Trenches" case studies that illustrate successes to learn from and mistakes to avoid
- A step-by-step introduction to Facebook PPC ad creation, targeting, and reporting
About the Author
Online advertising expert David Szetela is owner and CEO of Clix Marketing, one of the few agencies that specializes exclusively in pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. His PPC articles have been published in MediaPost, Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Land, MarketingSherpa, and on his company's blog (www.clixmarketing.com/blog). He is the Principal PPC Editor of the paper and online publication SEMJ.org and the PPC expert faculty member for the online certification company Market Motive. He is also a frequent speaker at such industry events as Search Engine Strategies, SMX, PPC Summit, and ad:tech. He also hosts a weekly radio show called PPC Rockstars that is distributed by Webmasterradio.fm and iTunes. Joseph Kerschbaum has optimized thousands of PPC campaigns and is Director of Client Services at Clix Marketing. He has written hundreds of articles on paid search advertising for numerous industry blogs, and he is a regular contributor to Website Magazine and Search Engine Land.
Most helpful customer reviews
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
David Szetela - A True PPC Rockstar!
By Chris E
Hello Amazon (and PPC) People,
Many people know David Szetela from his podcast PPC Rockstars on [...]. He is truly a professional and I have learned a ton from him. I really recommend you subscribe and download his podcast and start listening from the beginning. You will truly get an education in Paid Search like no other.
I knew David's book would be a keeper and wasn't disappointed. Suffice it to say, he knows his stuff. Yes, you'll find alot of Adwords/PPC books on Amazon that are very kind of slimy/salesy but don't be discouraged. There are a few true pros out there and David is on that Mt. Rushmore. If you like Davids' book, be sure to pick up:
Advanced Google AdWords by Brad Geddes
Winning Results With Google Adwords by Andrew Goodman
Between these three books your PPC training will be complete!
Echo Internet Marketing Staff
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
Great Tutorial on SEM
By S. Brita
This is a really good tutorial on SEM/PPC. It covers how to set up an account in Google and gives helpful hints and tools to build a solid well thought out PPC campaign.
They walk through it on a day-by-day; week-by-week schedule which I'm not sure was necessary as some steps only take a short time while others a bit longer.
You should have a decent understanding of direct marketing. They cover this quickly at the front but if you have no experience in DR, the nuances of the points the book makes could be lost on the reader. Otherwise this is a really great book if you are looking to learn how PPC works. Definitely recommended.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
See all 10 customer reviews...
Too packed for "an hour a day!"
This volume is too packed and comprehensive to really be "an hour a day." It makes for a neat marketing position, but be prepared to go deeper than that (I'm making a compliment here)!